Important: We presume that you already flashed your router with DD-WRT firmware and your DD-WRT router local IP address is 192.168.1.1 and your first router has different LAN subnet ex. 192.168.0.1. When you connect to this router via wi-fi you have internet, we also presume that you have already tested VPN on your PC/Mac to ensure that your network configuration and ISP allow PPTP or L2TP/IPsec connections.
Important: PPTP or L2TP can NOT be used concurrently with PPPoE or Static IP if you use DD-WRT flashed router as main router. We recommend you to use DD-WRT flashed router as the second one.
- Connect to the router using either an Ethernet cable, or by joining the wireless network ‘dd-wrt’. Open a web browser, and load the following address: http://192.168.1.1 Note, first set your network connection to obtain IP address automatically if you connect to your router via Ethernet.
- Configure your DD-WRT router to share your regular internet connection.
- Go to Setup then select Basic Setup.
- Under Connection Type select PPTP.
- Under Use DHCP select Yes.
- Under Gateway (PPTP Server)enter the IP address of the server you want to connect.Under User Name enter your VPN username. Under Password enter your VPN password.
- Enable PPTP Encryption.
- Disable STP
- MTU change to Manual and set to 1460 as value.
- Enter an IP address for the DD-WRT access point.Note, if this is the second router then you must set a different Local IP address then your main router.
- Enable DHCP Server and uncheck all three checkboxes for ‘Use DNSMasq for DNCP’, ‘Use DNSMasq for DNS’ and ‘DHCP-Authoritative’.
- Apply Settings
- Click on Security then Firewall and set to Disabled SPI Firewall.
- Click on Security then click on VPN Passthrough and enable PPTP Passthrough.
- Apply Settings.
- Click on Administration Tab scroll down and click on Reboot Router.
- After the router will reboot it should connect to the VPN automatically, now you can check the connection status by going to Status -> WAN tabIf Login Status say Connected then it’s OK, if not click to connect wait for abut 30 seconds and check if your IP has been changed on www.myiptest.com
- For L2TP connection settings are the same just change Connection Type to L2TP and click on Apply Settings, reboot your router and after 30 seconds check if it’s connected.